A Better Understanding
Neurohealth chiropractors are trained in sports chiropractic, which is a conservative approach to the management, rehabilitation and performance optimisation of the neuro musculoskeletal system for athletes in the professional or social sports arenas.
Whether you’re a weekend golfer or an elite athlete, our chiropractors can help you prevent injury and improve your biomechanics. Changes in your posture and muscular imbalances can lead to poor neuromuscular motor patterns. If these imbalances begin, they can lead to career-ending injuries with overuse or misuse syndromes and can also inhibit performance or limit the recovery of an injury.
Sports chiropractic, also known as sports chiropractic medicine or sports chiropractic care, is a specialized field within chiropractic care that focuses on treating musculoskeletal injuries and conditions commonly experienced by athletes and active individuals. Sports chiropractors undergo additional training and education to gain expertise in dealing with sports-related injuries and optimizing athletic performance.
Key aspects of sports chiropractic care include:
- Musculoskeletal Assessment: Sports chiropractors are trained to perform thorough evaluations of athletes' musculoskeletal systems, identifying areas of dysfunction, imbalances, and potential injury risks.
- Manual Manipulation: Chiropractic adjustments are the hallmark of chiropractic care. Sports chiropractors use hands-on techniques to manipulate the spine, joints, and soft tissues to improve joint mobility, reduce pain, and enhance overall function.
- Injury Treatment and Rehabilitation: When athletes suffer from sports-related injuries, sports chiropractors utilize various treatment modalities like joint mobilization, soft tissue therapy (e.g., myofascial release), stretching, and exercises to promote healing, restore function, and prevent recurrent injuries.
- Performance Optimization: Sports chiropractors work with athletes to enhance their physical performance. By addressing biomechanical imbalances and optimizing musculoskeletal function, they can help athletes achieve their peak performance levels.
- Injury Prevention: Sports chiropractors emphasize preventive measures to reduce the risk of injuries. They provide athletes with advice on proper warm-up and stretching routines, body mechanics, and ergonomics to minimize injury risks during training and competition.
Benefits of Sports Chiropractic:
- Pain Relief: Sports chiropractic care can alleviate acute and chronic pain resulting from sports-related injuries, such as sprains, strains, and overuse injuries.
- Improved Function and Mobility: By restoring joint mobility and enhancing muscular function, athletes may experience improved range of motion and overall functional capabilities.
- Faster Recovery: Sports chiropractors employ various techniques that promote healing and reduce downtime after injuries, allowing athletes to return to their sport more quickly.
- Non-Invasive Approach: Sports chiropractic care typically focuses on non-invasive treatments, avoiding surgery or reliance on medication whenever possible.
- Personalized Treatment Plans: Sports chiropractors tailor their treatment plans to each athlete's specific needs, taking into account their sport, training routine, and individual goals.
- Enhanced Performance: By optimizing biomechanics and addressing underlying issues, sports chiropractic care can help athletes achieve improved athletic performance.
- Injury Prevention: Regular sports chiropractic care can help identify and address minor issues before they escalate into major injuries, reducing the risk of future setbacks.
It is important to note that sports chiropractors often work as part of a multidisciplinary team, collaborating with coaches, physical therapists, and other healthcare professionals to provide comprehensive care for athletes. Additionally, athletes of all skill levels, from recreational to professional, can benefit from sports chiropractic care, as it can contribute to overall well-being, injury prevention, and performance optimization.
At Neurohealth we use a variety of approaches. These include gentle adjustments, mobilisation, soft tissue releases, rehabilitation, nutritional advice, dry needling, shockwave therapy, laser therapy, strapping and bracing to help you get back on the sporting field faster.
Clients of sports chiropractic report that treatment has helped them stay healthy, injury free and benefits in:
- Better sports performance
- Improved flexibility and power in their chosen sport
- Improved posture and the ability to maintain this posture for longer periods
- Less injuries and quicker recovery time
Being able to diagnose and correct underlying joint malfunctions and soft tissue imbalances plays a crucial role in returning an athlete or weekend warrior back to their sport.
If there is already a pre-existing condition in these areas, due to unresolved injury or muscle imbalances, the risk of injury increases and the importance of sports chiropractic management becomes essential! Sports chiropractic can help improve your flexibility, movement and muscle control, proprioception and body awareness, hence help your athletic performance. It can also help you to minimise injuries, which in turn will let you be able to train harder and longer.
For More Information
For more information, get in touch with our team.